2019 & 2020 Elizabeth Kolmer Award – Request for Nominations by October 1, 2020
Members, former members, and friends of the Mid-America American Studies Association (MAASA) are invited to nominate individuals for MAASA’s annual Elizabeth Kolmer Award. The Kolmer Award honors teaching and mentoring in the field of American Studies as well as service to MAASA. A committee will select one recipient for 2019 and another for 2020.
Those eligible for the award include current members of MAASA (those who have joined the organization or are members by virtue of their membership in the ASA and affiliation with an institution in MAASA’s eleven-state region) and those who, while not currently residing in the region, have been active in American Studies at an institution in the region or have contributed service to MAASA in the past. Current executive-board members are ineligible.
The $250 prize is named in honor of former MAASA president Sister Elizabeth Kolmer, PhD, a model teacher and scholar and the first recipient of the award.
Nomination letters (no more than 2 pages) should address the following:
- relationship to the letter-writer (student, colleague, teacher, etc.)
- teaching or mentoring style
- leadership in the institution/organization/field
- personal influence on the nominating individual or group
- service to MAASA and/or to the field in MAASA’s geographical region
- We also invite you to relate at least one incident/example that illustrates this person’s qualities as a mentor, teacher, or contributor to the American Studies community.
Letters should be sent via email attachment to MAASA’s Kolmer Award Committee at email@example.com by October 1, 2020. Please put “Kolmer Award nomination” in the subject heading.